The traditional SNES uses multiple ICs to generate the video out. This results in a somewhat blurry, dim looking image. As a cost saving measure, the last revision of the full size SNES switched to using the coveted 1-CHIP video chip which is known to have the cleanest and most vivid SNES video output. Unfortunately, the way Nintendo implemented the 1-CHIP solution is not optimal. A custom circuit board is installed inside the SNES 1-CHIP console which enables optimal RGB output.
A comprehensive install includes the following:
- Install a Borti designed SNES 1-CHIP RGB output PCB
- Replace the voltage regulator with a new 78S05
- Replace C11 capacitor to eliminate any potential horizontal line issues
- system cleanup and verification
- Given the popularity of this mod, the Borti PCB is always in stock and included in the price of the install
- A working SNES 1-CHIP system must be provided. You need to open your SNES and verify you have a 1-CHIP PCB. This will not work with any other SNES PCB revision.
- This mod also applies to the Super Famicom 1-CHIP revision and looks identical
RGB improvement in SNES 1-CHIP
- Brand: Nintendo
- Product Code: SNES_RGB
- Availability: In Stock